Leave of Absence
There are times when you find that circumstances beyond your control cause you to take a qualified leave of absence from your current position. If you need to be out of work for any of the reasons outlined in the All Types of Leaves Available section below, you must request leave approval, report absences and confirm ongoing leave approval as set forth in this guideline.
Important: Absences due to an approved Leave of Absence must be reported prior to the scheduled workday to be considered a scheduled and approved absence. Failure to properly comply with the leave approval requirements will result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment. Absences incurred that are not compliant with the requirements set forth in this guideline will be classified as unscheduled absences.
Team members may not borrow against un-accrued time while on a leave of absence. Team members also do not accrue time off while on a leave of absence. If they should accrue vacation while on LOA, the vacation time will be reinstated upon their return. PTO will start accruing again when they return from leave.
Step 1. Determine whether you need to request a Leave of Absence
Do you need to be absent for any of the reasons outlined in the All Types of Leaves Available section below?
Proceed to Step 2.
Step 2. Call Lincoln to Request a Leave of Absence
Call Lincoln at 1–888-408-7300. Or visit www.MyLincolnPortal.com.
First Time users will need to use company code AAACarolinas.
Proceed to Step 3.
Step 3. Understand your responsibility in self-managing a leave of absence
Team Members have responsibility in self-managing a leave of absence. Team Members must:
- Submit and provide all requested and required documentation throughout the leave process.
- Fully comply with all requests and instructions provided during your leave administration.
- Read, understand and comply with the requirements set forth in this Leave of Absence Guideline.
- Communicate your status to work to your manager before, during and at the termination of the leave process.
- Follow all reporting notifications. Absences incurred without leave approval will be classified as unscheduled.
- Continue to pay for benefit premiums for the duration of leave, if approved.
- Provide your Manager with a Release to Work note on the first day you return to work (for absences due to personal health issues).
When and How to Report Time Off
Absences due to an approved Leave of Absence must be reported to Lincoln prior to the start of the scheduled workday. Each Team Member is responsible for ensuring that a Leave of Absence is reported prior to incurring an absence on a scheduled workday. Furthermore, If you will be absent, or tardy, for any reason, you must contact your immediate supervisor and follow department guidelines for absence notifications. PLEASE NOTE: Failure to properly comply with the leave notification requirements will result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
When Should I Call LINCOLN?
You should call LINCOLN when:
- You need to report an absence due to an approved Leave of Absence
- You are able to provide a return-to-work date
- You will return to work sooner than originally reported
- You will return to work later than originally reported
- You are taking time away from work related to an intermittent FMLA leave
- You are reporting a new leave
What happens to my benefits when I am on leave
You will be required to continue to pay your portion of benefit premiums while on leave of absence. To figure out your amount, please refer to your last pay stub. Review your deductions and add up anything that is not 401(k) related or anything that is not benefits related such as child support payments, casual for a cause or uniforms. You will be responsible to pay the total amount of your benefit premiums each pay period you are on leave beginning with the pay period you did not receive a pay check or if the amount earned was not enough to cover your benefit premium deduction. Failure to pay team member benefit premiums may result in the termination of benefit coverage as of the last date payment was received.
Click here for instructions to make payments via PayPal.
Go here to pay for your benefits via PayPal
All Types of Leaves Available
There are times when you may need to be away from your job for an extended period of time because of illness, family obligations or other reasons. AAA Carolinas has a wide range of leaves of absence designed to address your needs for time away from work. The types of leave available include:
Family and Medical Leave of Absence (FMLA)
Team members who have worked for AAA Carolinas for at least 12 months and 1,250 hours may be eligible for up to 12 weeks of leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA). The Company is fully committed to FMLA leave eligibility as required by federal/state law.
Military Reserve Training or Active Military Service Leave
Team members who are inducted into the U.S. Armed Forces or who are reserve members of the U.S. Armed Forces or state militia groups will be granted leaves of absence for military service, training or other obligations in compliance with the state and federal laws. Team members may use accrued time-off but are not required to do so.
Parental Involvement in School Activities
The Company is fully committed to leave eligibility for Parental Involvement in School Activities as required by federal/state law.
Workers’ Compensation (WC)
Workers’ Compensation is provided and designed to protect you if you have a job-related injury or illness that occurs as a result of performing your job. If you are injured or become ill, you may be able to receive a portion of your pay, certain types of rehabilitation, or reimbursement for medical expenses. To apply for workers’ compensation, contact the company safety manager.
Impact on your Benefits during a Leave of Absence
Your benefits may be impacted should you need to take a leave of absence. See section above – WHAT HAPPENS TO MY BENEFITS WHILE ON LEAVE.
ADA Accommodation Request
Steps for ADA Accommodation Request:
1) Complete the form below
2) Upon receipt of this form, a member of our ADA Review team will send you packet of information. You will have 15 days to complete the paperwork sent to you.
3) When completed ADA packet is received, we will send to Lincoln for review and recommendations.
4) Once those recommendations are received a meeting will be scheduled with you and your manager and members of our ADA Review Team to review and determine if ADA Accommodation request can be met.
5) A final written summary of decision will be emailed to you.
Questions about your benefits?
Benefits can be confusing and overwhelming. Our experts are here to help: Free support (Mon–Fri, 9am–5pm ET)